Ages 10+ | Dancers with Previous Experience
About the Placement Class
Who should take this class?
- New-to-Doxa students ages 10+ with previous experience in ballet
- Students returning to Doxa after one or more seasons off
What about beginner students?
- Students ages 9 to 11 can register for Lilies without placement
- Students ages 12+ can register for Lilacs without placement
- Boys ages 10+ can register for Oaks without placement
Will classes fill up before I can be placed?
- If you are waiting for a scheduled placement class but registration is already open, we recommend enrolling as soon as possible in the level you are eligible for by age alone (see above).
- Add yourself to wait-lists if the classes in that level that work for your schedule are already full.
- Please do not purchase new dress code specific leotards until you have received your level placement.
- If placed in a level different from the age-eligible one, we will then move your enrollment to the correct classes.
What about pointe work?
- Dancers who have previous experience on pointe should bring their current pointe shoes to the class for evaluation at the end of class.
- Please note, Doxa (by intention) usually places students on pointe two to three years LATER than many studios. This is because rather than beginning pointe work for a few minutes each week at the end of a technique class, we teach via a separate pointe class even for beginning pointe students.
- Therefore, please understand that placement in a pre-pointe class or pointe class at another location does not necessarily mean Doxa will approve that dancer for pointe (or pre-pointe) classes. Please do not buy a new pair of pointe shoes prior to receiving approval at Doxa for pointe work.
Is there a fee for the placement class?
- No, this class is free!
Is there a dress code for placement class?
- Female students should wear a leotard, tights, and ballet flats for class, with their hair up in a ballet bun. Close-fitting shorts or a ballet skirt is optional.
- Because your dancer does not yet know their level, we do not expect them to wear a certain color leotard for placement class.
- Please, no t-shirts or other cover-ups.
- Boys should follow our male dress code.
Does participating in the placement class commit a dancer for the season?
- No, in fact this FREE placement class is a great way for a preteen or teen dancer to see what classes are like at Doxa without commitment.
- However, once you do enroll you are taking a spot (likely in a by-placement-only level) that another dancer cannot occupy, so please consider carefully your commitment level to finish the season before enrolling.