GIVING GLORY TO GOD THROUGH DANCE
DOXA - A BALLET MINISTRY IN AMARILLO, TEXAS
And for us, that changes everything.
THE DOXA DIFFERENCE
You are fully loved by God exactly the way you are.
- God made you, intentionally and wonderfully, for His glory.
- Jesus Christ, his Son, died in your place as a payment for your sin, to give you eternal life. This is the free and gracious gift of God, offered to all, earned by none.
- If you follow Christ, your identity is found in Him alone. It is not defined by the world around you.
We want you to strive for excellence. Not perfection.
- God alone is perfect, and chasing perfection can become a self-glorifying or self-deprecating pursuit.
- Instead, strive for excellence because God is worthy of your best offering of praise.
- Striving for excellence simply means you try to improve. To become better than you were yesterday.
You can share Christ through your dancing.
- Dance is a beautiful and powerful way to communicate.
- Mastering correct ballet technique can help your dancing be more clear and have more impact.
- God gave you many gifts, talents, and abilities. The greatest joy comes from using those gifts to glorify Him.
Sign up for a class, or see the dancers in action at our next performance.
"I believe it is important to teach children that God is the author, creator, and artist of all things, and that any talent can and should be used to bring glory to His name. We are dancing to praise Him and point others to Him."
- Dance Training: Amarillo, Texas - Lugene Cole (ages 3-6); Hess School of Dance (ages 7-18)
- Summer Intensives: The Jillana School in Taos Ski Valley, NM; Ballet Magnificat! in Jackson, MS; American Ballet Theatre in Austin, TX and New York City, NY; Pacific Northwest Ballet in Seattle, WA
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Public Affairs and Graduate Certificate in Non-Profit Management, from the University of Texas at Dallas (2004); Ministry Studies Certificate, Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (2022)
- Dance Instructor Training/Continuing Education: Ballet Magnificat Teacher Workshop (2012); Progressing Ballet Technique (PBT) certification: April 2017; The Pointe Shop Pointe Fitters' Basic Training (2021)
- Family: wife to Garrett, Worship Arts Pastor at Paramount, and mom of two boys (Isaac and Everett)
MEET THE DOXA TEAM
Doxa Instructors represent a team of accomplished, caring teachers.
"I am thrilled to be a part of the Doxa ministry and combine my dancing knowledge with the gift of worship. I'm thankful to be a part of a community of fellow believers who strive to teach more than just technique."
- Started dancing at age 3 with Lugene Cole
- Trained at Ballet Lubbock under Suzanne Aker and Yvonne Racz-Key
- Attended the University of Utah on scholarship and was a member of the Utah Ballet Company and Utah Character Dance Ensemble
- Chosen to perform Russian in the Nutcracker with the professional ballet company, Aspen Santa Fe Dance Company
- Performed in St. Petersburg, Russia, and Seoul, South Korea
- Graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in ballet
- Served as resident Ballet Mistress at Ballet Lubbock for 3 years
- Progressing Ballet Technique (PBT) certification: April 2017
"I'm passionate about not only teaching the art of dance but also sharing Jesus with my students. I love being able to bring dance into a church setting because it gives me the opportunity to show people a different and unique way to worship the Lord."
- Started dancing at age 6 with Neil and Camille Hess
- Pursued dance in college and received a Theatre Arts/Dance degree
- Has been teaching theatre and dance since 2003 at various churches and dance studios in Amarillo
- Involved in Amarillo College Conservatory Theatre, Amarillo Little Theatre, and Amarillo Opera
- Started teaching at Doxa in 2013, using her theatre background for acting/improvisation courses. She is primarily responsible for the acting coaching in Doxa's story ballet productions
"I'm excited to be a part of the Doxa ministry. I enjoy sharing the art of dance with children and worshipping the Lord with them. I believe God is the great creator and artist and it is a privilege to praise Him through dance."
- Started dancing at age 4
- Studied ballet for 4 years at West Texas A&M University
- Has been teaching dance in Amarillo since 1997, including ballet, tap, jazz, and music movement
- Choreographed 2 Amarillo College musicals
- Choreographed and taught dances for St. Stephen United Methodist Church
- Performed with the "Texas" cast in Austin for the State Capitol rededication
"I am grateful to be a part of Doxa and the family that resides here, which not only teaches growth in technique, but in spiritual strength and readiness. Understanding the mercy in what Jesus has done and continues to do for us makes praising Him through dance that much sweeter, and I am overjoyed to share His glory with other dancers."
Began training in ballet and tap at age 5 at Amarillo College
Began dancing ballet with Doxa Dance Ministry at age 8
Performed numerous corps and lead roles in Doxa’s showcases of Esther, Daniel, The Ark and the Covenant, Bloodline, and Joseph
Assistant teacher at Doxa
Dancer with Doxa’s Kerusso program
Became a Junior Instructor at Doxa for the 2021/22 season
Began dancing at age 4. Training in ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, and modern
Danced competitively for 2 years
Attended Dance Revolution’s dance conventions for 5 years
Began Dancing at Doxa in 2019. Performed several lead and corps roles in Doxa’s productions of Bloodline, Esther, Joseph, The Lamppost, and Out of Egypt
Dancer with Doxa’s Kerusso Program
Began teaching ballet in 2021 at Impact Expressions School of the Arts
Became a Junior Instructor at Doxa for the 2022/23 season
"My goal is to lead others to Christ through dance and movement. Learning to use the gift of dance as worship brings glory to God and allows His holiness and purity to be made known. It is an honor to be able to dance and teach in an environment without judgement and where the main goal is to help students learn about Jesus."
Began dance at age 2 under Kathy Cowan and Cynthia McCormack
Began dancing at Doxa in 2012
Assistant teacher for 7 years at Amarillo College and Doxa Dance Ministry
Attended 3 Ballet Magnificat! Summer Dance Intensives
Cast in several leading and corps roles with Doxa, Amarillo Opera, Amarillo College Conservatory Theatre, Summer Youth Musicals, and Amarillo Little Theatre
Goal of becoming a personal trainer in addition to dance instructor
- Became a Junior Instructor at Doxa in 2021
- Began dancing at age 6 under Cynthia McCormack at Amarillo College
- Began dancing at Doxa in 2018
- Preformed various corps and soloist roles in Doxa’s productions of Daniel, The Ark & the Covenant, Bloodline, Esther, Joseph, The Lamppost, and Out of Egypt
- Participated in the 2020 Fall Kerusso sessions
- Assistant teacher at Doxa for 2 years
- Became a Junior Instructor at Doxa in 2022-23 season
"My heart for Doxa students is to not only give them the tools to dance confidently and with passion, but also to show them God's hand in worship. I am so blessed to get to lead them through the ways we can use our bodies, masterfully created by God, to glorify Him."
- Began dancing with Doxa in 2010
- Performed in numerous Doxa’s showcases of Daniel, The Ark and the Covenant, Bloodline, Esther, Joseph, Lamppost and Out to Egypt
- Current dancer with Doxa's Kerusso program
- Became a Junior Instructor with Doxa for the 2022/2023 session
META PERFORMANCE CONSULTANTS
Doxa is thrilled to welcome Kason and Ashley Hanson of META Performance to teach classes and train our staff.
DANCE CONSULTANT & MOVEMENT SPECIALIST
"God has created us to live, move, and have our being in Him. I am excited for this opportunity to learn and grow alongside the students and staff at Doxa this season and look forward to sharing my passion for movement to point others to the Creator!"
- Early ballet instruction under the direction of Mr. Rinat Mouzafarov (Graduate of the Vaganova Academy and dancer with the Bolshoi)
- Trained professionally with Ballet Magnificat in Jackson MS (2011-2015)
- Taught in studio settings throughout the country with a focus on ballet technique and cross-training for dancers (2015-Present)
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude with Associate of Applied Science in Physical Therapist Assistant from Pueblo Community College (2019)
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude with Bachelor of Science in Health Care Science from University of Colorado Colorado Springs (2020)
- Formed META Performance (which provides movement and performance training for dancers) with his wife Ashley (2019)
- Various continuing education certifications focused on fundamental human movement patterns/screening/
biomechanics and breathing mechanics
DANCE CONSULTANT & MOVEMENT SPECIALIST
"I’m really looking forward to working with the Doxa students this year! It’s been such a joy to develop relationships with the Doxa staff and dancers over the past couple of years - can’t wait to see what the Lord does in and through each of us this upcoming year. He is in the business of doing NEW things!"
- Attended the University of Arizona’s School of Dance (2003-2006)
- Trained professionally with Ballet Magnificat in Jackson MS (2006-2008)
- Danced professionally with Ballet Magnificat (2008-2015)
- Has taught and performed across the U.S. as well as several countries throughout the Middle East, Europe, Asia, South America and the Caribbean
- Over 20 years of teaching experience in school, studio and college settings
- Formed META Performance (which provides movement and performance training for dancers) with her husband Kason (2019)