DOXA DRESS CODE
FEMALE DANCER ATTIRE
For Both Nurture & Cultivate Pathways
For all regular leveled technique classes (flower-named classes), female dancers must wear a solid leotard (in any style) in their level color. See level colors below.
- For Performances:
- Dancers wearing shared costumes or planning to return their costume must wear a flesh-colored camisole leotard under their costume and ballet tights; this layer is highly recommended even if you own the costume for modesty in the dressing room and a protection against on-stage costume mishaps.
- For Open Tech & Movement Foundations Classes: any color leotard
- For Auditions, Workshops, and Intensives, unless otherwise specified: black leotard
- For Summer Camps & Summer Open Classes: any color leotard
Tights are required for every class and can be full-footed, footless, or convertible. Full-footed tights help preserve shoes longer (especially pointe shoes). Students are encouraged to have convertible tights for pointe foundations classes, as we will often do exercises barefoot.
For Performances: Ballet tights must cover the feet for performances (not rolled up or cut off) and be clean with no holes, unless specified otherwise for a particular role.
- At Doxa, we order a color from Revolution Dancewear called Classic Pink which compliments a variety of pale to medium skin tones and matches pink ballet shoes. Any brand of ballet soft-pink tights is acceptable even if the color varies slightly. Ballet tights should not be a bright (bubblegum) pink.
- We also order Chestnut tights, available for dancers with a darker skin tone if they prefer the darker tights. See note on shoes to match.
- Black tights are allowed in the supplemental classes only, such as Movement Foundations or Open Tech.
- BALLET FLATS: Female dancers must wear pink ballet shoes ("flats"). Leather shoes are ideal for developing strong feet in ballet technique. Canvas are acceptable.
- If wearing Chestnut tights, Bloch Performa canvas flats now come in Cocoa to match darker skin tones. You can also "pancake" (paint with makeup foundation) your ballet or pointe shoes to match tights.
- No satin slippers (like those sold at Walmart in the dance wear section), lyrical shoes, or jazz shoes.
- POINTE: Pointe shoes in good condition properly sewn are required for pointe class - it is the responsibility of the student to make sure they have strong shoes for every pointe class and performance. Do not wear shoes without elastic and ribbons sewn properly. Do not purchase pointe shoes without a pointe placement from Doxa Instructors.
- POINTE FOUNDATIONS: Most classes will be conducted barefoot so dancers should wear convertible tights that can be rolled up. Do not purchase pointe shoes until specifically told to do so by a Doxa Instructor.
- CHARACTER: heeled black character shoes and a black character skirt are required for Character* class
- CONTEMPORARY: Socks, bare feet, or ballet shoes are acceptable for Contemporary* class
- MOVEMENT & PARTNERING FOUNDATIONS: Dancers should wear athletic shoes/sneakers to classes on days they have movement foundations or partnering foundations**, as they may be asked to put them on for certain portions of class. Wear athletic shoes to Movement Assessments* as well.
**Applies only to boys, Oaks and up.
Hair should be worn in a ballet bun or French twist - using bobby pins, clips, hairnet, and hairspray to secure it in place.
Secure braids (without loose tails), alligator clips, and small hair accessories are acceptable. Even very short hair should be secured on the sides.
Please make every effort to send your child to class with their hair done properly - your child is at a disadvantage when they can’t see well or their long ponytail is hitting their face when learning turns (and even Sweet Peas do turns). When they have to accommodate a messy hairstyle, they develop improper habits and poor technique that will affect their dancing as they get older.
ACCEPTABLE COVER-UPS (OPTIONAL)
In technique class, female dancers may wear a leotard and tights only, or with:
- a wrap or pull-on flat ballet skirt (not a "fluffy" petticoat tutu)
- close-fitting shorts or cut-off black tights no longer than mid-thigh (over their leotard and pink tights)
NO shirts, full skirts, or baggy shorts allowed in technique class so that instructors can accurately assess proper alignment and technique. Dancers will be asked to remove any extra items other than the above approved list for class.
CLOTHING OUTSIDE THE STUDIO
Preteen female dancers and older MUST WEAR a shirt or closed jacket and shorts or pants when coming into or leaving the Doxa hallway. Please remember that this facility is not only used by dancers, and what is acceptable dance attire inside the studio is not modest or appropriate clothing outside that space. It shows respect to the church staff members, others using the facility, families of Doxa students, and your fellow classmates to cover up on your way to and from class.
Female dancers wear a leotard in their level color for all ballet technique classes. Male dancers can wear a shirt in the level color for their co-ed classes, or can wear white or black.
ROSEBUDS | white
SWEET PEAS | light pink
BUTTERCUPS | yellow
DAISIES | green
LILIES | dark pink
POPPIES | red
BLUEBONNETS | light blue
LILACS | light purple
IRISES | dark purple
TULIPS | burgundy
VIOLETS | royal blue
ORCHIDS | navy
SUPPLEMENTAL CLASSES & WORKSHOPS
- Level color leotard
- Black knee-length skirt
- Black heeled character shoes
- Pink tights
- Any color leotard
- Pink or Black tights
- Ballet shoes or bare feet
- No leggings or t-shirts
WORKSHOPS & INTENSIVES
Level color or Black leotard / Pink tights
MALE DANCER ATTIRE
For Men's classes, wear a solid-colored fitted athletic t-shirt or tank in white or black.
For co-ed classes, wear a solid-colored fitted t-shirt or tank in white or black or the level color. See level colors above.
Black or flesh canvas ballet flats for classes. Sometimes, other colors are necessary for performances based on character/roles.
Sweatpants, joggers, or activewear pants that are at least knee-length. Pants should not be too long to get under a dancer's heels.
Athletic shorts are acceptable with compression shorts underneath.
Tights are acceptable with cotton or other shorts worn over.
Moms (or other involved adult) should be comfortable and able to move with their child including sitting on the floor.
Bitty Blossoms can wear ballet attire, or simply come in comfortable clothes that do not restrict movement, such as leggings and bare feet or socks.
Street shoes have to be removed before entering the studio (adults and children).
Adults should wear any of the following to ballet or conditioning:
- fitness attire: t-shirt or tank top (but no midriffs please), yoga pants, sweatpants, or leggings
- ballet attire: leotard, tights or leggings, skirt or shorts if desired
- ballet shoes for ballet technique class are encouraged; socks are acceptable
Dancers in this class can wear any of the above items listed for adults. Attire should be conducive to a child's specific needs and comfort level. If you have any questions or concerns about attire for your dancer, please let us know!
Campers should wear any of the following:
- suggested: ballet leotard in any color, ballet tights, skirt or shorts if desired
- alternative: leggings and a long shirt (sometimes chosen by families who are just trying camp prior to making a season-long commitment)
Only ballet shoes are needed.
Any color leotard & ballet tights
Need help finding dancewear that meets our dress code? Try these places.
You can now order the Revolution tights we love for recital as well as leotards, skirts, shorts, and more through Doxa's Nimbly Storefront. Items ship directly to you! No more waiting for us to do a bulk order. Allow adequate shipping time.
DISCOUNT DANCE SUPPLY
Use the 'Find A Studio' search feature to find Doxa Dance Ministry (Amarillo). There you can see Dress Code suggestions by level. Allow adequate shipping time.
Be sure to use studio code 78113 at checkout to help Doxa earn reward dollars!
Razzle Dazzle has the list of Doxa's level colors and tries to keep them stocked for our dancers. They also carry a wide array of dance accessories.
Check hours online.
34th & Bell in The Village on Bell
DOXA DONATION CLOSET
Doxa accepts donations of clean, gently-used dancewear in accordance with our dress code. Families can trade their old items or purchase at very minimal cost which supports our performances.
We greatly appreciate families donating their outgrown leotards and shoes for others to use!