Level placement by instructors required
Required: Full Season = $560 | 8 total payments = $70/monthly
- 70-minute Ballet Technique classes, twice per week
- 40-minute Pointe Foundations class, once per week
Optional Classes: Add $15/monthly
- 40-minute Character I class, oncer per week
Tuition is posted monthly (September - April).
- MON 3:15-5:10p + WED 3:15-4:25p
- TUE 5:45-6:55p + FRI 5:45-7:25p
- WED 5:15-6:25p + FRI 4:30-6:25p
Dancers in this level enroll in and attend both of the paired class times per week. One day is longer than the other in the required schedule because of pointe foundations on one day. The second day can be extended to match by taking the optional contemporary/character class.
Students in this level must enroll in two technique class times per week and one pointe foundations class. The schedule is arranged so that families can select two days that begin at the same time.
- If taking only required classes, one day will be extended by 40 minutes to account for the pointe foundations class.
- If also taking the optional Character I class, both days will be the same length.
Prior Doxa experience is required. Level recommendations are made by Doxa Instructors after a student has trained for a minimum of one year at Doxa in the Nurture Path. Only dancers who have been placed in this level are able to enroll. Dancers in this level have passed the Bluebonnets Evaluation and have received Recommendation for Lilacs by a Doxa Instructor.
Dancers who have been recommended for or have previously enrolled in a Cultivate Path level may choose to enroll in an age-defined Nurture Path level instead. This option may be appealing if their goals regarding dance are purely recreational, they do not desire to pursue dancing en pointe, a scheduling conflict with another extracurricular activity, or some other reason.
Dancers must maintain their placement in Cultivate Path classes from year to year, and level changes are at the discretion of Doxa Instructors and capacity in each level. To re-enter the Cultivate Path after opting for Nurture Path classes instead, a dancer/parent should submit by email a desire to be reconsidered for Cultivate Path placement.
Lilacs wear a light purple leotard (girls). Please avoid dark purple as this color is used in another level.
All levels wear pink ballet tights and pink ballet shoes with their hair properly secured for class. A dance skirt or close-fitting pair of shorts is an optional accessory. See dress code for more information on this policy and to view all levels.
Character class requires a black knee-length character skirt, and heeled black character shoes.
In the spring semester, dancers will learn one recital dance per technique class in which they are enrolled.
Depending on the distribution of classes, usually dancers in this level perform in two recitals, and do both of their dances in both recitals.
One Saturday dress rehearsal (usually 1-2 weeks before recitals, depending on how Easter falls) is the only commitment outside of consistent class attendance that is required for the recital.
Recital costume fees are now factored into tuition rates. There will be no additional costume fee in the 2023-24 Season.
To maintain level placement in this Cultivate Path level, eligibility for pointe placement, and story ballet casting opportunities, dancers must:
- Adhere to dress code every class (dancers not in dress code with hair properly secured will not be allowed to take cultivate-level classes).
- Demonstrate an "advanced dancer" mindset, defined as an eagerness to refine the finer details of technique.
- Enroll in two ballet technique classes and one pointe foundations class. The Character I class is also encouraged, but not required. Maintain consistent attendance.
- Attend a lower level class as make-up if absent in regular technique classes.
- Pass the Vocabulary II Test
- Complete Exercises assigned as homework according to stated deadlines
- Participate in Movement Assessments twice annually (September and February)
- Receive pointe foundations evaluation
- If cast in a story ballet, prioritize scheduled rehearsals over outside conflicts (maximum of 3 excused absences allowed per production). Story ballet participation is optional and can be determined at the outset of each production.
- class load can meet school PE credit requirement (5 class hours) - request paperwork from your school
- students are on track for potential pointe placement if pointe work is a goal
- students are eligible for merit-based level advancement consideration
- in addition to performing in the recital, students are considered for story ballet productions, depending on roles available