Level placement by instructors required
Required Classes: Full Season = $600 | 8 total payments = $75/monthly
- 70-minute Ballet Technique classes, twice per week
- 40-minute Pointe Foundations class, twice per week
Optional Classes: Add $15/monthly each class
- 55-minute Character/Contemporary II class, once per week
- 70-minute Open Tech class, once per week
Tuition is posted monthly (September - April).
- MON + THU | 5:30-7:25p
- TUE + FRI | 4:30-6:25p
Dancers in this level enroll in and attend both of the paired class times per week; the times include ballet technique & pointe foundations. First-year Irises are encouraged to do the earlier Tues/Fri class time if possible; Veteran Irises are encouraged to do the later Mon/Thurs class time if possible.
- WED 5:15-6:10 or THU 4:30-5:25 -- Contemporary/Character II
- FRI 6:30-7:25 -- Open Ballet Technique (with instructor approval)
Students in this level must enroll in the two technique class times per week and two pointe foundations classes. The schedule is arranged so that the two days of required classes begin at the same time and these classes are held back to back.
- Nurture Path - dancers who are not interested in pointe work, or who are needing a lighter class load, can remove the 40-minute pointe foundations classes from their schedule. This student is still eligible for recital! However, they will not be eligible for story ballet participation.
Prior Doxa experience is required. Level recommendations are made by Doxa Instructors after a student has trained for a minimum of one year at Doxa in the Nurture Path. Only dancers who have been placed in this level are able to enroll. Dancers in this level have passed the Lilacs Evaluation and have received Recommendation for Irises by a Doxa Instructor.
Dancers who have been recommended for or have previously enrolled in a Cultivate Path level may choose to enroll in an age-defined Nurture Path level instead. This option may be appealing if their goals regarding dance are purely recreational, they do not desire to pursue dancing en pointe, a scheduling conflict with another extracurricular activity, or some other reason.
Dancers must maintain their placement in Cultivate Path classes from year to year, and level changes are at the discretion of Doxa Instructors and capacity in each level. To re-enter the Cultivate Path after opting for Nurture Path classes instead, a dancer/parent should submit by email a desire to be reconsidered for Cultivate Path placement.
Irises wear a dark purple leotard (girls). Please avoid lavender as this color is used in another level.
All levels wear pink ballet tights and pink ballet shoes with their hair properly secured for class. A dance skirt or close-fitting pair of shorts is an optional accessory. See dress code for more information on this policy and to view all levels.
In the spring semester, dancers will learn one recital dance per level-specific technique class in which they are enrolled.
Depending on the distribution of classes, usually dancers in this level perform in two or three recitals, and do both of their dances in both (or all three) recitals.
One Saturday dress rehearsal (usually 1-2 weeks before recitals, depending on how Easter falls) is the only commitment outside of consistent class attendance that is required for the recital.
Recital costume fees are now factored into tuition rates. There will be no additional costume fee in the 2023-24 Season.
Doxa generally presents a story ballet in the fall/winter (December) or in the spring (April), or both. Students must meet and maintain Cultivate path requirements in order to be eligible for participation.
There is a $50 participation fee per dancer for each story ballet, which are pooled and used to buy tights and ballet flats for the cast, depending on character roles.
Story ballets require extensive rehearsals outside of regular class times. Dancers are expected to be at all rehearsals scheduled for their given roles. A limited number of conflicts can be declared at the outset of each participation opportunity, which will be considered in casting and rehearsal scheduling. Once the rehearsal schedule is set, dancers are expected to prioritize rehearsals over future conflicts which may arise. Families who cannot make this commitment with their dancer should opt for recital participation only, or non-performing status.
To maintain level placement in this Cultivate Path level, eligibility for pointe placement, and story ballet casting opportunities, dancers must:
- Adhere to dress code every class (dancers not in dress code with hair properly secured will not be allowed to take cultivate-level classes).
- Demonstrate an "advanced dancer" mindset, defined as an eagerness to refine the finer details of technique.
- Enroll in two ballet technique classes and one pointe foundations class. The Character I class is also encouraged, but not required. Maintain consistent attendance.
- Attend a lower level class as make-up if absent in regular technique classes.
- Pass the Vocabulary III Test
- Complete exercises assigned as homework according to stated deadlines
- Participate in Movement Assessments twice annually (September and February)
- Receive pointe foundations evaluation
- If cast in a story ballet, prioritize scheduled rehearsals over outside conflicts (maximum of 3 excused absences allowed per production). Story ballet participation is optional and can be determined at the outset of each production.
- class load can meet school PE credit requirement (5 class hours) - request paperwork from your school
- students are on track for potential pointe placement if pointe work is a goal
- students are eligible for merit-based level advancement consideration
- in addition to performing in the recital, students are eligible for story ballet productions, depending on roles available
- students are considered for Doxa Kerusso ensemble participation, by invitation