DOXA DURING COVID-19
During this unprecedented time when our regular classes cannot meet,
we want to do everything we can to stay connected to you, our Doxa Family!
This page details our plan and what Doxa will look like for the time being.
Doxa is using Zoom to provide virtual classes and one-on-one appointments with your dancer's teacher.
To participate from a phone, go ahead and download the free Zoom app.
What can your dancer do to stay active and engaged with Doxa?
Teachers have recorded videos of each class dance up through Irises and they are shared in the Parent Portal.
You can find these under Shared Files > Class Files.
Sign up for a 15-min video chat with your dancer's teacher! Click on the image above for a brief tutorial on how to sign up. We'd love to touch base and let your child ask any questions they have about their choreography or technique.
Beginning Sunday, March 29th Doxa will offer live-video classes through Zoom for each level at least once per week. If you can't participate at the time the class is live, the videos will be available within 24 hours in your Parent Portal Shared Files.
Participating in Virtual Classes
- Clear a space to dance! Remove any toys or nearby furniture if possible.
- Parents, we encourage you to let your dancer put on their ballet attire and do their hair as if they are coming to our studios - make it special and a big deal...after all, it is ballet class!
- Try to remove potential distractions (pets, for example) if possible. However, we completely understand your dancer is in your home with regular family life happening around them! Often the teacher may be at home too, and interruptions are possible. We will all do our best to have a productive class time together.
At Class Time:
- Log into the Parent Portal from a computer or phone. Set it up in a way the dancer can see the screen.
- If it is the correct day for your dancer's online class, you'll see it in the righthand section called Today's Schedule. If it is time for the class to begin, click on the green camera icon.
- You can also find upcoming classes by clicking on More > Calendar. Then, select the dates you want to see and you'll find the Online class for your dancer's level. You'll see the green camera icon and can join the class that way (if it's the right time for the class).
- Agree to the waiver.
- Once you've joined the class, click on Gallery View in the upper righthand corner. Select the teacher's screen, and click on the three little dots in the upper righthand corner of that screen. Then select Pin Video. This will keep the teacher's video as the main item on your screen.
OR At Another Time:
- The teacher will only be conducting the class during the time designated below for that class. If you are unable to participate at that time, don't worry! You will have access to a recording of the class within 24 hours of the class ending time.
- To access the class at another time, log onto your Parent Portal.
- Click on Shared Files > Class Files. This is where your choreography videos are, but is also how we will share recorded classes. It will remain there as long as our studios are closed, so your dancer can watch it as often as they'd like and follow along!
Virtual Class Schedule
Here are the times your dancer can take a LIVE video class. The schedule is subject to change, but we have tentatively scheduled classes March 29th - April 19th. No classes on Easter Sunday.
Please allow 24 hours after the scheduled time for the recording to appear in the Parent Portal Shared Files.
MOMMY & ME
10:00 - 10:30 am
4:30 - 5:00 pm
Lower School and Lilies
10:45 - 11:30 am
3:45 - 4:30 pm
4:45 - 5:45 pm
4:00 - 5:00 pm
Lilacs through Upper School
"Explore, Expand, Extreme" is a new structure for our summer open classes. Formerly "Foundation and Challenge" classes, the new format has three (instead of two) different levels.
Dancers are not tied to a specific level option, but they should expect that Explore classes will be the most foundational, Expand classes will build on that foundation and increase in difficulty, and Extreme classes will be at an advanced level and the most difficult of the three. We decided to use this time to introduce this class structure ahead of summer, and dancers can try out the different classes in the comfort of their own homes!
The live class links will be in the Parent Portal according to the recommended levels below, but the recordings for all three will be shared with all classes Lilacs and up.
60 min ballet technique
60 min ballet technique
75 min ballet technique
75 min ballet technique
Boys & Supplemental Classes
2:00 - 3:00 pm
3:15 - 4:15 pm
4:30 - 5:45 pm
4:00 - 5:00 pm
PRE-POINTE / POINTE
5:15 - 6:15 pm
Some Questions You May Have...
This is unprecedented for all of us! Feel free to send additional questions to our email, but here we've tried to answer some of the questions we can anticipate.
What tuition do I owe?
For the time being, we will NOT post April tuition or run the April auto-pay program. Please participate in as many of the above services as you can without charge. Please check your Parent Portal to see if you have any outstanding balance through March, and make payments to eliminate that balance as you are able. If you are caught up through March, there is nothing left to owe. If you are unable to pay an outstanding balance at this time, please let us know through email - we are happy to put that on hold until things get back to normal, work out a payment plan, or discuss the requirements for a short-term scholarship if needed.
If you already paid through April, we ask that you consider leaving that balance on your account as a credit toward future classes, to avoid the credit card fees we incur when issuing refunds. If necessary, please contact us by email to request a refund.
What if I want to support Doxa financially during this time?
If you are able and interested, we can certainly accept donations to help us during this time. We suggest you make these by check payable to Doxa, mailed to: Paramount Baptist Church 3801 S. Western St. Amarillo, TX 79109. There are other ways to support Doxa financially as well. Click here to learn more.
What about Esther performances?
For the time being, we are operating as though the performances are still possible. We ask that dancers practice at home and really work hard to retain their choreography. We are also making contingency plans for postponed performances, and will communicate the details of this plan when finalized and it is apparent a postponement will be needed.
What about items I have purchased (tights/shirts)?
The Esther shirt order has been placed and is on it's way. We will hold them and distribute them when we are able to meet in person again. If you didn't order one, we still expect to be able to place another order at performance time.
Tights can still be ordered through the Parent Portal. We are operating by faith that we will indeed be able to perform Esther - either on time or at some point soon! We will hold the tights already ordered and distribute them when classes resume. We will certainly make exchanges if your child has grown out of the size you ordered. If you have not yet placed an order and your child's height & weight are on the edge of two sizes on the size chart, we suggest ordering the larger size.
Thank you for your participation in and support of Doxa. We miss seeing your dancers, and hope to be together again soon. In the meantime, please know we love you and are praying for you, and are excited about these ways that we can stay in community with one another.
WANTED: Church Community
If your church is not meeting currently and does not have the capacity for LiveStream or recorded services, or if you don't have a church family at all, please know you are invited to connect with us at Paramount!
- Sundays 10 am - Weekly Worship
- Wednesdays 7 pm - Midweek Teaching with Pastor Andrew
- Fridays 10 am - Resources