Dancers in all performing levels must maintain a minimum of 50% attendance at any given time during the current season to be eligible for performances. Please note, a dancer who attends only 50% of the time will not be well-prepared for their performance. But any dancer who cannot meet this minimum requirement will not be allowed to participate in the performance.
Excluding Toddlers and Adult Class participants, all enrolled students perform in the end-of-year recital which typically falls on a weekend in mid to late April. To opt-out of recital or other performances, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org as early as possible.
Dancers are divided across multiple performances. Lower School students usually perform in one performance. Intermediate School students generally perform one dance per technique class taken, which can fall either in the same performance or in different performances. Upper School students will usually perform in all or most of the scheduled performance times, though their roles may vary, or they may perform a separate weekend if Doxa is producing an original story ballet that year.
Siblings may end up in the same performance or in different performances. This is based on which classes they are in and is simply “luck of the draw.” We cannot guarantee that siblings will perform at the same time.
Help from parents is necessary to make recitals successful. As a parent with a dancer in Doxa, your role for recital is to:
1. Provide required attire for your dancer (pink tights and shoes; sometimes, a black leotard or undergarment leotard)
2. Attend the mandatory dress rehearsal
3. Pay tuition balance prior to dress rehearsal (if not already paid)
4. Arrive at call time with your dancer dressed and ready to go (20 mins early for recitals; up to 1 hr for larger production years)
5. Help your dancer off-stage during rehearsals and the performance as necessary
6. Purchase your dancer's costume prior to the recital OR return the costume with all accessories in excellent condition immediately after the recital (see costume policy for details)
7. View this performance first and foremost as a worship and witness opportunity
8. Set a godly example for my child and other participants by treating others with respect, humility, and patience
9. Volunteer as able for various tasks. Requests are made several weeks prior to recital.
Specific recital date/time for each class as well as dress rehearsal information is made available as early as possible, usually in November. Please IMMEDIATELY reserve all given dates on your calendar and protect them against conflicts. With the exception of sudden illness, dancers are required to attend their dress rehearsal times and perform in ALL performances designated for their class.
Due to Covid-19 and in an effort to avoid any costume sharing, we have adjusted our Costume Policy, effective for the 2020-21 Season.
Parents will purchase their child's recital costume(s) at wholesale cost (approximately $35-45 per costume). Doxa will not mark-up costume costs. Dancers will have only one costume per performing class. Costume fees must be paid by January 15th and are not refundable. Costume fees can be paid in advance, or spread across multiple payments if helpful to families. Dancers participating in a story ballet concurrent with a recital should review story ballet policies as their participation fee may cover/waive the requirement to purchase recital costume(s).
Exceptions to this policy can be requested and will be considered on a case-by-case basis, for the following reasons:
- Three or more dancers in a family enrolled in performing classes - 10% discount for costumes can be applied; dancer retains costume ownership (must request by email).
- Enrollment in three or more performing classes (by dancer) - the dancer/family can purchase two costumes while Doxa purchases remaining costumes needed; Doxa retains ownership of additional costumes purchased on dancer's behalf and those must be returned immediately following the recital performance or paid for at that time.
- Financial Need - please submit a request by email if costume purchases are cost-prohibitive to your dancer's participation in the recital; please include what percentage of the costume cost you would be able to pay, if any; please note any costumes purchased by Doxa on behalf of a dancer are property of Doxa and must be returned immediately following the recital performance or paid for at that time.
Pay your dancer's costume fee in the Parent Portal. You can wait until the fee posts, or you can make a payment ahead of time by selecting: Pay Online --> Other --> Balance --> change the amount to the costume cost, and label it "Costume Purchase" in the memo line.
Doxa dancers are given the opportunity to perform at other events during the year. This may include Paramount's Christmas events, Sunday services, mission trips, community outreach, or side projects.
These performances usually include the dancers in the highest levels and those invited to participate may vary depending upon the number of dancers needed. These opportunities are optional and involvement requirements are expressed at the onset of each commitment.